Join AABANY at the Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Festival on May 18
The 34th Annual AAPI Heritage Festival will take place in Manhattan this year on May 18 at Confucius Plaza from 11 am to 6 pm. From the organizers:
Organized by the Coalition of Asian Pacific Americans since 1979, this annual festival is the longest running and largest event celebrating pan-Asian heritage nationwide. It celebrates not only the value of families, but also our heritage which make us proud to be Asian American and Pacific Islander.
The festival is free and open to the public thanks to generous contributions over the years from sponsors such as Nielsen, Verizon and Macy’s as well as from supporting companies: McDonalds, Con Edison, Toyota, Pepperidge Farm, Campbell Soup, Different Roads to Learning, and many Asian communities and organizations.
AABANY will be among the exhibitors at the event. Stop by, bring your friend and families, enjoy performances, sample delicious Asian food and check out exhibits from other community groups and vendors. The video above is from last year’s festival, and as you can see, it’s a lively and fun event.
Hope to see you in Manhattan Chinatown on Saturday!
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, and AABANY is celebrating in a variety of ways:
- May 9 – Pro Bono and Community Service Committee Meeting at Perlman and Perlman, starting at 7 pm.
- May 11 – Society of Asian Federal Officers 21st Annual Scholarship and Awards Banquet at Jing Fong, starting at 6 pm; AABANY member Pamela Chen, Chief, Civil Rights Section, Criminal Division, US Attorney’s Office, Easter District of New York, being honored as Prosecutor of the Year.
- May 12 – 33rd Annual Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Festival at DUMBO, starting at 11 am. AABANY and KALAGNY will have a table at the event. It is a free, family-friendly event and the weather is supposed to be great this weekend, so come out and join us.
- May 14 – APA Heritage Month Celebration at the Kings County District Attorney’s Office co-sponsored by AABANY.
- May 14 – Hon. Jeffrey K. Oing, Justice of the Supreme Court, State of New York (and long-time AABANY member), will be speaking at Kramer Levin’s APA Heritage Month Celebration, at Kramer Levin’s midtown Manhattan office. RSVP required by May 10.
- May 16 – MOCA Community of Heroes Celebration at Golden Unicorn, starting at 6 pm. AABANY is taking seats there, and if you’d like to join us at a 50% subsidized rate, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 17 – AABANY’s IP Committee presents: Intellectual Property Ethics for In-House Counsel CLE, starting at 7 pm at Kalow & Springut; free for AABANY members, 1.5 ethics credits available.
- May 18 – Asian American Journalists Association of New York hosts a Trivia Bowl, at ABC News Studios, starting at 6 pm. Juju Chang will be the MC, and AABANY is fielding a team. Sitting New York APA judges will be serving as judges for the event.
- May 18-20 – NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section Spring Meeting, in association with the Young Lawyers Section, at Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, New York. Past President and current Judiciary Committee Co-Chair James Chou will be speaking on Sunday morning on the panel entitled, “Your Path Through the Court and to the Bench: What You Need to Know to Get Through a Day in Court.”
- May 22, Asian American Arts Alliance (a4), Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) and AABANY present: “Revisiting Vincent: The Legacy of the Vincent Chin Case 30 Years Later,” a re-enactment of the Vincent Chin trial, with introduction and talkback led by Hon. Denny Chin and Dean Frank Wu, at New York Law School, starting at 6:30 pm. Tickets now available for purchase in advance.
- May 23 – AABANY’s Government and Public Sector Committee presents a CLE program entitled “Everyday Ethics for the Government & Public Sector Attorney,” to be held at Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman, starting at 6 pm. Free for AABANY members with 2.0 ethics CLE credits available.
- May 24 – AABANY’s Litigation Committee hosts a Happy Hour at the Hill on 29th and Third Ave., starting at 6:30 pm. Meet and mingle with members of the Litigation Committee.
- May 24 – AALDEF’s Young Professionals Committee and Cadwalder Wickersham & Taft host a screening of the documentary “Sing Your Song,” about Harry Belafonte and his role in fighting for civil rights for all Americans. AALDEF Staff Attorney Jerry Vattamala will take part in a Q&A after the screening and discuss the legacy of Harry Belafonte’s activism and its meaning for today’s generation.
- May 30 – AABANY joins the Asian American Law Fund of New York (AALFNY) in hosting the Annual Summer Reception, open to the legal community and law students. It will take place at Edwards Wildman Palmer starting at 6 pm, and there is no cost to attend but RSVP is required by May 25.
- May 31 – June 2: NAPABA Eastern Super Regional Conference, hosted by APALA-NJ at Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. Many AABANY members and leaders will be there, speaking on panels and reconnecting with NAPABA friends. Registration now open.
It’s another event-filled APA Heritage Month. We hope to see you at one or more of the great programs listed above!