Help for Hong Kong Residents Overseas

Passing along information from Anita Chan, Director, Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in New York, for visitors from Hong Kong who may have been affected by the Boston Marathon explosion on April 15.

The Boston explosion was such a tragedy. I hope no one you know was affected.

We have been in close touch with the Immigration Department of Hong Kong, the Chinese Consul General in New York, as well as the Hong Kong Association of Massachusetts. From what we can gather so far there were over 30 Hong Kong runners at the Marathon but luckily no Hong Kong resident was injured.

In this connection, I would like to share the following information with you:

Hong Kong permanent residents requiring assistance when overseas can call the Hong Kong Immigration Department’s dedicated hotline at 852-1868 or the Chinese Consulate General (CCG) at the respective cities. In the case of New York and Massachusetts they can call CCG of New York at: 212-244-9392 / 212-244-9456. The relevant webpage of our Immigration Department provides further details:

This is the established and quickest channel for Hong Kong residents to get help when they are overseas. Please feel free to share the information with those you think may find this useful.  

Let’s hope no one needs to use the hotline services. Just thought it would be good to share the information.

Please take care.

Anita Chan
Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office New York