NOTICE TO THE BAR
CONTACT: Edward Friedland, 212-805-0513
SDNY BOARD OF JUDGES ADOPTS A SCHEDULE FOR THE PREPARATION OF PRE-SENTENCE INVESTIGATION REPORTS, EFFECTIVE JUNE 2
The Board of Judges of the United States District Court for the
Southern District of New York have adopted a standing order that
standardizes the timetable for the completion of Pre-Sentence Investigation (PSI) Reports. The new schedule takes effect June 2.
Highlights of the new schedule include:
- On the day of a guilty plea or verdict, judges will direct defense counsel to promptly schedule a Pre-Sentence Interview of the defendant with the SDNY Probation Department;
- The Probation Department will complete its Pre-Sentence Interview of the defendant within 28 days of the plea or verdict;
- Within 14 days of the Probation Department’s initial disclosure of the Pre-Sentence Investigation Report, the parties must provide the Probation Department with objections.
Please see the standing order that is attached to this notice for a complete schedule.
“The court’s new schedule for Pre-Sentence Investigation Report ensures that defendants can be sentenced no later than 90 days after a guilty plea or the delivery of a guilty verdict,” said Chief Judge Loretta A. Preska. “It improves efficiency, provides some flexibility in scheduling sentencings, and reduces the number of sentencing adjournments—it’s a win-win for all parties.”
Click here to read the notice.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. Legal Department is hosting a networking reception on April 7, 2014 @ 6:00PM for APA attorneys that are potentially interested in joining our Legal Department.
If you are interested in attending and meet the following criteria, please submit your resume along with a brief bio (no more than 3-4 sentences long) of yourself, expertise and/or interest, in confidence, by email to [email protected] with subject line “JPMC” by no later than March 7, 2014. If your resume is selected, you will be receiving an invitation to the event on or about March 17 directly from JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Internally, JPMorgan Chase & Co. will have about 50-60 lawyers and compliance professionals attend the event. Many in attendance will be senior managers, practice group leaders and a couple of recruiters. Senior leaders who have attended similar events in the past have included lawyers from all four lines of JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s businesses: Consumer & Community Bank; Corporate Investment Bank; Asset Management and Commercial Bank. In addition, we have had litigators from our Litigation Department attend as well.
There is no guarantee of any employment as a result of this event and/or future guarantees but we hope that if there is a fit and/or a need, we will look to this group as a possibility. Of course, some in attendance may have an immediate need but there are no guarantees.
Criteria/other details for prospective guests:
- lawyers (private, government, in house, etc.) who have been out of law school and have been practicing in any area of law for 5-15 years; and
- current dues-paying member of AABANY.
There is no school or GPA requirement. For questions, please write to [email protected]. Please do not contact JPMorgan Chase & Co. unless you are selected. Thank you.