On May 28, 2021, President Biden signed an Executive Order establishing the White House Initiative on Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders, and delivering on the President’s commitment to reinstate and reinvigorate this historic Initiative.
The new Initiative is charged with driving an ambitious, whole-of-government agenda to advance equity, justice, and opportunity for AA and NHPI communities by:
- Helping to coordinate a comprehensive Federal response to the rise in acts of anti-Asian bias and violence
- Addressing the systemic lack of disaggregated data on AA and NHPI communities in Federal statistical systems
- Expanding language access and language assistance programs for AA and NHPI individuals across Federal programs
- Strengthening economic security and opportunity for AA and NHPI communities by empowering AA and NHPI entrepreneurs, building new workforce training opportunities, and promoting workplaces that are free from harassment against AA and NHPI workers
- Addressing the concentration of poverty experienced in many AA and NHPI communities
- Addressing disparities in educational outcomes for AA and NHPI students of all ages, and addressing bullying, harassment, and discrimination in our Nation’s schools
- Advancing climate and environmental justice for AA and NHPI communities who are particularly impacted by the climate crisis and are overburdened by environmental degradation
- Promoting inclusion and belonging for all AA and NHPI communities by strengthening public awareness and education about AA and NHPI communities, cultures, and traditions
- Empowering AA and NHPI communities to be civically engaged, including through electoral participation
- Building a Federal workforce where AA and NHPI public servants are leaders at the most senior levels of our government
- Ensuring that AA and NHPI communities are empowered and equitably served by Federal funding, grants, and contracts
To read The White House’s full fact sheet, click here.