On Thursday, July 18, 2019, AABANY’s Membership Committee, Government Service & Public Interest (GSPI) Committee, and Prosecutors Committee hosted a Membership Mixer with members, colleagues, and friends at Stout NYC on West 33rd Street.
Members and non-members alike enjoyed reconnecting with familiar faces and building new relationships. We filled an entire side room in the cellar of Stout. The date of the mixer coincided with the birthday of former Prosecutors Committee Co-Chair Helen Ahn, who sadly passed away last November. To read the tribute to her in the Winter 2018 issue of The Advocate, click here. The Prosecutors Committee brought a birthday cake to mark the occasion and to honor Helen’s memory.
The Membership Committee held a special raffle. To be eligible for prizes, attendees had to follow AABANY’s Instagram account and post about the Membership Mixer. A special shout out to Jimei Hon and Melanie Rios for winning free memberships, and Abraham Lee for winning an international whiskey flight courtesy of BARO by Chefs Society.
To learn more about the GSPI Committee, go here. To learn more about the Prosecutors Committee, go here.
Join the Membership Committee and the Prosecutors Committee for an outing to watch a Yankees game at Yankee Stadium on August 16. To view the event, click here.
On December 18, 2018, AABANY’s Prosecutors Committee held its 10th Annual Reception by honoring Bridget G. Brennan, Special Narcotics Prosecutor for the City of New York, and Jesse J. Sligh, Executive Assistant District Attorney, Queens County District Attorney’s Office, for their exemplary and established record of public service and their commitment to diversity and inclusion in the profession and the community.
Approximately 200 Prosecutors Committee members and guests filled the New York County Lawyers Association at 14 Vesey Street to capacity to celebrate this special anniversary event. The evening featured numerous distinguished guests and speakers who provided congratulatory remarks to the Committee and the honorees.
Notable guests and speakers included:
- Darcel Clark, Bronx County DA
- Michael McMahon, Richmond County DA
- Madeline Singas, Nassau County DA
- Cyrus Vance, New York County DA
- Neil Corwin, Executive AUSA, US Attorney’ s Office, SDNY
- Nancy Hoppock, Chief ADA, Kings County DA’s Office
- Bridget Rohde, Chief AUSA, US Attorney’s Office, EDNY
- John Ryan, Chief ADA, Queens County DA’s Office
- Joe Alexis, Chief of Trials, Kings County DA’s Office
- Catherine Christian, Special Assistant to the NY County DA for External Affairs
- Diane Gujarati, Deputy Chief of Criminal Division, US Attorney’s Office, SDNY
- Melinda Katz, Queens Borough President
- Yang Chen, Executive Director, AABANY
- Pamela Chen [Judge, US District Court, EDNY]
- Dorothy Chin-Brandt [Retired Judge, Queens County Supreme Court]
- Phyllis Chu [Judge, NY County Criminal Court]
- Danny Chun [Judge, Kings County Supreme Court]
- Ronald Hollie [Judge, Queens County Supreme Court]
- Gilbert Hong [Judge, NY County Criminal Court]
- Judy Kim [Judge, NY County Criminal Court]
- Peggy Kuo [Judge, US District Court, EDNY]
- Don Leo [Judge, Kings County Criminal Court]
- Daniel Lewis [Judge, Queens County Supreme Court]
- Kevin McGrath [Judge, NY County Criminal Court]
The Prosecutors Committee presented a 10-year retrospective slideshow reflecting on the birth and growth of this vibrant committee over the past decade.
This year’s reception also included a touching tribute in memory of Committee Co-Chair Helen Ahn, who passed unexpectedly in November. Helen’s parents and family were present to hear and receive the tributes from all the speakers and honorees.
AABANY thanks Prosecutors Committee co-chairs James Lin and Myongjae M. Yi for organizing the event, as well as Kin Ng, Catherine Christian, Francis Chin, Laura Badger, and the planning members for their assistance. AABANY also thanks the New York County Lawyers Association for providing the beautiful venue for this special celebration.
AABANY congratulates the Prosecutors Committee on reaching its 10-year milestone and wishes it much success and growth in the coming years. The Committee is comprised of current and former state and federal prosecutors. To learn more about the Committee go to https://www.aabany.org/page/73