SAVE THE DATE!
Monday, February 23, 2015
Year of the Ram
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
Lunar New Year Gala & Justice in Action Awards Presentation
2015 Justice in Action Award Recipients
John W. Kuo
Varian Medical Systems
Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary
Novelist, poet, and playwright
Emcees: Juju Chang & Sree Sreenivasan
PIER SIXTY, Chelsea Piers, NYC
6:00 PM Reception & Silent Auction
7:00 PM Dinner
For more information or to purchase tickets,
email email@example.com or call 212.966.5932.
The MinKwon Center for Community Action invites applications for a Community Organizer. The Community Organizer would work in the Korean American, Asian American, and immigrant communities as part of the Civic Engagement Team to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged in the electoral process and in advocacy campaigns on issues such as comprehensive immigration reform, fairer allocation of city and state budgets, and housing rights. This is a full-time position.
The Community Organizer would have the following responsibilities:
Organizing & Advocacy
- Engage in different forms of community outreach.
- Mobilize community members to participate in campaigns.
- Develop community members’ leadership’ abilities.
- Coordinate regular member meetings, workshops, and other community-building and education forums.
- Engage in advocacy campaigns on issues such as comprehensive immigration reform and tenants’ rights.
- Provide support for Civic Engagement events.
- Represent MinKwon Center and participate in meetings with other coalition groups.
- Coordinate media and publicity to raise awareness.
- Interest and experience in working on social justice and immigrants’ rights issues
- Spoken fluency or proficiency in Korean
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to work well both independently and in teams
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends
Organization History and Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 as the Young Korean American Service & Education Center (YKASEC) to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, voter rights, and cultural awareness. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including youth, elderly, recent immigrants, low-income residents, and limited-English-proficient residents.
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please prepare a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to:
Hyun-Jung Kim, Community Engagement Coordinator
NOTE: Make subject line of email “Application to Position: Community Organizer – [YOUR NAME]”