AABANY is pleased to announce that it is a co-signatory to the amicus brief in Zarda v. Altitude Express, Inc.
In that case, Donald Zarda filed suit against his former employer, Altitude Express,
alleging that he had been terminated due to his sexual orientation, in
violation of the New York State Human Rights Law and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. The amicus brief asks the 2nd Circuit to overturn existing precedent and expand the definition of
“sex” in Title VII of the Act to include sexual orientation in employment discrimination.
The following bar associations and organizations have also signed on:
- The LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York
- Anti-Defamation League
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Legal Aid at Work
- The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York
Please click here to read the amicus brief.