The High School Division of the Sonia & Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program encourages diverse and underrepresented high school students from communities among the five New York City boroughs to explore careers in the law.
In the Summer of 2019, approximately thirty high school students will participate in judicial internships in state and federal courts, educational and professional development workshops, and mentorship opportunities. The students will intern with a state or federal judge located within one of the five New York City boroughs from Monday through Thursday for four weeks. The hours will likely be 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., subject to the individual judge’s discretion. On Fridays, the student interns will meet for educational and professional development workshops at the Thurgood Marshall Courthouse, 40 Foley Square, New York, NY from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Students are expected to honor these time commitments to participate in the program.
- Current 11th grade student (Rising 12th grade student in the Summer of 2019)
- Reside in and attend school in the Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, or Staten Island
- Minimum GPA of 82%
- Application Materials: Online Google Form, Transcript, Resume, Essay, and Teacher Recommendation
- Available to attend the SCS JIP Orientation in person on Saturday, May 18, 2019
- November 30, 2018 – High School Intern Application Opens
- March 8, 2019 – High School Intern Application Final Deadline
- April 1 – 11, 2019 – High School Intern Interviews
- May 18, 2019 – 2019 SCS JIP Program Orientation
- July 8, 2019 – August 2, 2019 – High School Program
You may also refer to http://scsjip.org/hs_program.html for a downloadable version of the 2019 Application.