NAPABA Policy Director Emily Chatterjee passes along this request from Rajdeep Singh of the Sikh Coalition calling on the Senate Judiciary Committee to hold hearings on the proliferation of hate crimes and hate groups in this country:
Please find attached our group letter here, urging the Senate Judiciary Committee to hold hearings next month on hate crimes. A grand total of 154 organizations endorsed the letter. Thank you for your tireless efforts to spread the word about this letter through your networks!
During the next few days, as the Judiciary Committee reviews our letter, please consider taking the additional steps:
1. Contact the Senate Judiciary Committee directly and urge them to prioritize hearings.
2. Ask your members to contact the offices of Judiciary Committee members by phone and email.
3. Create awareness about this issue through community advisories, blog posts, Facebook, and Twitter.
4. Issue press releases to your media contacts to generate public awareness about this issue.
5. Write op/eds about the need for increased focus by policymakers on hate crimes in America
Let’s hope for the best. Again, we are grateful for your support and look forward to working with you again soon.