Federal Judicial Internships Available
The Honorable Dora L. Irizarry, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of New York, currently is accepting applications for Fall 2022 Internships.
- Must be a rising second or third year law student.
- Must have good grades.
- Must have good research, writing, and analytical skills, although participation in Law Review or a Journal is not a prerequisite.
- Military and/or other life/career experience is a plus.
- Must be vaccinated fully against COVID-19 (including a booster shot).
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, interested law students should forward their application package in PDF format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One-page cover letter briefly describing your background, why you are interested in a legal career and setting forth why you are interested in interning for Judge Irizarry specifically.
- Law school transcript. Self-prepared transcripts will not be accepted.
- One recent writing sample no longer than 10 pages. Journal or research articles will not be accepted.
- Two to three reference letters.
The deadline for receipt of materials is May 13, 2022.
Please note that, while these are not paid internships, the Judge will participate in any appropriate sponsored program that provides academic credit or stipends for interns.
If you have further questions, please contact chambers at: 718-613-2150.
The High School Division of the Sonia & Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program encourages diverse and underrepresented high school students from communities among the five New York City boroughs to explore careers in the law.
In the Summer of 2019, approximately thirty high school students will participate in judicial internships in state and federal courts, educational and professional development workshops, and mentorship opportunities. The students will intern with a state or federal judge located within one of the five New York City boroughs from Monday through Thursday for four weeks. The hours will likely be 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., subject to the individual judge’s discretion. On Fridays, the student interns will meet for educational and professional development workshops at the Thurgood Marshall Courthouse, 40 Foley Square, New York, NY from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Students are expected to honor these time commitments to participate in the program.
- Current 11th grade student (Rising 12th grade student in the Summer of 2019)
- Reside in and attend school in the Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, or Staten Island
- Minimum GPA of 82%
- Application Materials: Online Google Form, Transcript, Resume, Essay, and Teacher Recommendation
- Available to attend the SCS JIP Orientation in person on Saturday, May 18, 2019
- November 30, 2018 – High School Intern Application Opens
- March 8, 2019 – High School Intern Application Final Deadline
- April 1 – 11, 2019 – High School Intern Interviews
- May 18, 2019 – 2019 SCS JIP Program Orientation
- July 8, 2019 – August 2, 2019 – High School Program
You may also refer to http://scsjip.org/hs_program.html for a downloadable version of the 2019 Application.
The Joint Minority Bar Judicial Internship Program (JMB JIP) is now accepting applications until January 18, 2014.
The Association of Judges of Hispanic Heritage (“AJHH”), the Asian American Bar Association of New York (“AABANY”), the Asian American Law Fund of New York (“AALFNY”), the Metropolitan Black Bar Association (“MBBA”), the New York Women’s Bar Association Foundation, the Puerto Rican Bar Association (“PRBA”), and the South Asian Bar Association of New York (“SABANY”) have partnered again for the JMB JIP to offer law students the opportunity to continue their legal education as summer judicial interns in New York and New Jersey metropolitan area courthouses. Judicial internships are exceptional learning opportunities that offer tremendous insight into the process of judicial decision-making. They offer an opportunity to strengthen analytic and legal writing skills.
The brochure/application is attached here and is also available at www.jmbjip.org
Please direct any questions to the program’s co-directors at email@example.com.