AABANY’s Prosecutors Committee was founded in September 2008 to enhance the advancement and professional development of Asian Pacific American (APA) prosecutors, the establishment of a network between former and current APA prosecutors, the recruitment of APA law students to become prosecutors, and the cultivation of trust and communication between the APA community and the local prosecutors’ offices.
Our membership is comprised of current and former prosecutors of Asian American, Pacific Islander and South Asian heritage from all five local New York City District Attorney’s offices, Nassau and Suffolk County District Attorney’s Offices, Assistant Attorney Generals from the New York State Attorney General’s Office, as well as federal prosecutors from both the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Each year, the Committee hosts an annual reception to honor those who have contributed to the criminal justice system as well as to promote diversity within the APA community in New York City.
On December 3, 2019, at its 11th Annual Reception, the Committee honored Gurbir S. Grewal, Attorney General of the State of New Jersey, and Gilbert C. Hong, Acting Justice of the New York State Supreme Court, for their exemplary and established record of public service and their commitment to diversity and inclusion in the profession.
Approximately 150 Prosecutors Committee members and guests filled to capacity the main auditorium at the New York County Lawyers Association, 14 Vesey Street, to celebrate this special event. The evening featured distinguished guests and speakers who provided congratulatory remarks to the Committee and the honorees.
The speakers at the daïs included the following representatives from state, local and Federal prosecutors’ offices:
- Joseph Alexis, Executive ADA, Kings County
- Geoffrey Berman, US Attorney, Southern District of NY
- Bridget Brennan, Special Narcotics Prosecutor
- Catherine Christian, Special ADA for External Affairs, NY County
- Mark Lesko, Chief AUSA, Eastern District of NY
- Derek Lynton, Chief ADA, Bronx County
- John Ryan, Acting District Attorney, Queens County
- Anthony Scarpino, District Attorney, Westchester County
- Madeline Singas, District Attorney, Nassau County
Also in attendance were the following judges:
- Hon. Shahabuddeen Ally, Bronx Criminal Court
- Hon. Dorothy Chin Brandt, Retired Justice, Queens Supreme Court
- Hon. Karen Gopee, Queens Criminal Court
- Hon. Marilyn Go, Retired Judge, District Court, EDNY
- Hon. Lorna Schofield, District Court, SDNY
- Hon. Don Leo, Brooklyn Criminal Court
- Hon. Danny Chun, Brooklyn Supreme Court
- Hon. Phyllis Chu, NYC Criminal Court
- Hon. John Hecht, Brooklyn Supreme Court
- Hon. Dean Kusakabe, Queens Family Court
- Hon. Judy Kim, NYC Criminal Court
- Hon. Daniel Lewis, Queens Supreme Court
- Hon. Richard Tsai, NYC Criminal Court
- Hon. Cori Weston, Judge, NYC Criminal Court
Distinguished guests included:
- Agnes Chan, first Asian woman detective in NYPD history
- Yang Chen, Executive Director of AABANY
- Sherry Cohen, Chief of Legal Recruitment, Bronx County
- Lila Kirton, Bureau Chief, Westchester County
- Jesse Sligh, Executive ADA, Queens County
- Brian Song, President, AABANY
In addition, the family of NYPD Det. Wenjian Liu, who made the ultimate sacrifice when he was killed in the line of duty in 2014, made a special visit to the Reception. Det. Liu’s family received the Prosecutors Committee’s posthumous award on Det. Liu’s behalf at the 2015 reception. The family was recognized with a heartfelt standing ovation and a message that Det. Liu will not be forgotten.
When AABANY President Brian Song delivered his welcome remarks at the start of the reception, he passed along the word from Queens County District Attorney-elect Melinda Katz’s transition team that her office is inviting applications, especially from diverse candidates at all levels. Many of the other speakers at the daïs lost no time in announcing that their offices were also hiring. We anticipate that prosecutors’ offices may see an uptick in applications coming out of this Reception.
AABANY thanks Prosecutors Committee co-chairs Myongjae M. Yi and Maria Park as well as vice-chairs Michael Leigh and Emily Ching for organizing the event. The Committee also thanks Kin Ng, Brian Lee, David Chiang, Catherine Christian, Francis Chin, Giyang An and the planning members for their assistance. AABANY thanks the New York County Lawyers Association for providing the beautiful venue again for this special celebration.
More photos from the event can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZiD12LZFpxJmwLP6
To learn more about the Prosecutors Committee, please visit: https://www.aabany.org/page/73