The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund will hold its annual Summer Cocktail Party on:
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
6:00 – 9:00 PM
915 Broadway, NYC
(@ 21st Street)
Please save the date!
LIVE PERFORMANCE – RAFFLE – HORS D’OEUVRES – CASH BAR
$60 (advance) $50 (nonprofit/student) $65 (at door)
For more information:
212.966.5932 x212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Legal Names 2015 Diverse Attorneys of the Year
Every two years, we at The Legal recognize a group of outstanding minority attorneys from across Pennsylvania. This year, we solicited nominations from our c…
Congratulations to AABANY In-House Counsel Committee Chair, Austin So, for being recognized as one of 2015′s Diverse Attorneys of the Year by Pennsylvania’s The Legal Intelligencer!
Every two years, The Legal Intelligencer solicits nominations for game changers and outstanding minority attorneys. To see the full list of attorneys, click on the link in the title.
A devastating earthquake struck Nepal, leaving thousands dead and injured, and countless lives uprooted throughout South Asia. Join SABANY, AABANY, MuBANY, SABA-NJ, NetIP, SAJA and others to support the relief efforts for the victims of the earthquake.
When: Thursday, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Please RSVP here: http://goo.gl/forms/4UouU2QJp0
What: Suggested donation $20
Drink Specials and passed appetizers.
Find us at: https://www.facebook.com/events/920220614704463/
Proceeds from the event will be directed towards Adhikaar, a Jackson Heights based organization on improving the lives of the Nepali speaking community in NYC. Adhikaar has been spearheading relief and recovery efforts in Nepal.
Additional information and to donate online see here: http://www.adhikaar.org/news/451.php
Additional organizations collecting funds for relief efforts include:
Food For Life Global – http://www.ffl.org/en/
Blue Diamond Society – http://www.bds.org.np/donate-us/
Along with various other multinational organization, more information available here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/world/asia/where-to-donate-for-nepal.html?_r=0
New York City Bar Association Announces 2015 Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award Winners – 44th Street Blog
Organization of over 24,000 lawyers dedicated to improving the administration of justice and promoting the study of law….
Congratulations to AABANY Member and accomplished attorney Kathy Hirata Chin, who has been named one of the New York City Bar Association’s 2015 Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award Winners! The award recognizes the critical role individual attorneys have played in initiating and sustaining change within their organizations and the overall New York legal community. The award recipients embody the New York City Bar’s Statement of Diversity Principles, which defines diversity as an inclusive concept, encompassing race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, nationality, age, disability and marital and parental status.
To read more about Kathy and other award recipients, click on the link in the title. The New York City Bar Association will present its 2015 Diversity & Inclusion Champion Awards at the Diversity and Inclusion Celebration Dinner on June 11, 2015.
NYS Courts E-Filing Resource Center
The training is offered by the New York State Unified Court System’s E-Filing Resource Center. Learn how to E-File documents from your office or personal computer. The one-hour online sessions will take place on April 30, May 28, and June 11. Pre-registration is required at www.nycourts.gov/efile. Click on “Register for Training” and you will receive confirmation via email with a link to the online session prior to the training date. These are general classes that offer no CLE credit.
Visit the calendar of the E-Filing Resource Center for a complete list of sessions offering CLE credit.
Benefits of E-Filing and the NYSCEF System:
- A case can be initiated and post-commencement documents filed and served via NYSCEF from anywhere with internet access at any time on any day, even when the courts are closed.
- Multiple attorneys working on a case can view the file simultaneously and from different locations.
- Round the clock access to case files allows for more effective time management and responsiveness to clients’ needs.
- Document storage is simplified and expenses reduced. Filing fees can be paid on-line with a credit or bank card.
- E-filed documents are electronically served on all participating parties, thereby reducing service expenses.
- The system provides immediate e-mail notification of all filings, including court orders, judgments, and decisions, which are available on-line.
- The docket is clear and easy to work with. The system is easy to learn and simple to use.
- In the proper case, the system can safeguard confidential personal information by restricting online access to counsel of record and unrepresented parties in the case.
- There is no charge to use the system – whether for filing documents, accessing the e-docket, serving documents through NYSCEF, or printing documents from it.
For more information:
Frequently Asked Questions
Thanks to Andrea Garcia for the information!
Please join us in congratulating AABANY member Kenneth Chin, Banking Finance Partner at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel, who has been inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers!
To learn more about Kenneth’s honor, read Kramer Levin’s announcement below:
The ACCFL extends fellowships by invitation only, and after careful investigation, to those lawyers who have achieved preeminence in the field of commercial finance law and exemplify the highest professional and leadership standards.
Mr. Chin has more than 25 years of experience providing legal and transactional advice to a wide variety of clients in corporate and financing transactions. He has been recognized by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America and New York Super Lawyers as a leading lawyer, and in 2014 was named one of the Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business by Asian American Business Development Center.
I. Scholarship Details:
Scholarships are for high school seniors entering college in the fall.
To apply, from the Student & Parents Tab, click the login button to set up an account and create your profile. Once you create a profile, you can match to and apply for our scholarship and other scholarships as well.
A. Seven Four-Years Scholarships for $1,000 per year. (Total is $4000)
B. Two Four-Years New Immigrant Scholarships for $1,000 per year. (Total is $4000)
Application Method: Complete all required sections of online scholarship application and submit one letter of recommendation.
Distribution Method: A check will be sent directly to the college or university to assist the award recipient with tuition expenses.
Scholarships will open for application April 13, 2015 and close on May 17, 2015.
Scholarship focus: Merit (Academic) Scholarship
II. Selection Criteria To Be Considered:
- Must be a full-time student.
- Evidence of student’s outstanding academic performance. Must have a 3.5 or higher GPA.
- Extracurricular/Community Service: Should have participated in school clubs or community.
- Leadership: Show leadership either in their extra curricular activities or in winning awards.
- One letter of recommendation: Must provide letter of recommendation from someone who has personal knowledge of the student such as a teacher or student advisor.
- Personal statements describing the students goals and aspirations and unusual circumstances.
- Financial needs will be considered based on FAFSA EFC and college financial aid award letter.
If you have any questions on the scholarship application, please contact us at:
email@example.com or 718-710-1132.
Thanks to Tina Lee, President of Chinese Dollars for Scholars, for the information!