An Open Letter from the MinKwon Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 18, 2016
For more information, contact:
Dear Friends, Allies and Community,
For decades, the MinKwon Center has fought for those oppressed and marginalized in society. Today, our mission to empower our community takes on an unprecedented urgency.
- Legal services and consultation for immigrants regarding their status will continue. If you are undocumented, contact us immediately to see if you are eligible for a visa or other form of relief. This includes anyone currently with DACA.
- DACA recipients with expirations in the next 6 months should contact us immediately, to process a renewal. We have begun offering additional clinic days to process these applications.
- We are preparing know-your-rights workshops on protecting yourself when approached by immigration enforcement officials.
- The Asian American Dreamers Collective, our undocumented young adult group, is convening special meetings and events for Dreamers to share a space of grief, pain and to respond together.
- MinKwon is strategizing with our allies in the non-profit, government and philanthropic world on how to respond to a federal government hostile to immigrants in a way not seen in generations.
We are here to help, assist and empower the community. As an organization committed to immigrants, the MinKwon Center is renewed in its sense of mission to serve the urgent needs of the vulnerable, and to give a voice to the undocumented, low-income, limited English proficient, and Asian Americans who are now at even greater risk.
This is not a time to stay silent, nor to accept what is happening to our family members, friends, neighbors, or co-workers. It is a time for action, and we invite you to join us.
Contact us if you have questions, need assistance or would like to volunteer. Our number is 718-460-5600.