AABANY continues to stand with Hon. Doris Ling-Cohan, who was unjustly deemed not qualified to be a judicial candidate in November’s election by the Manhattan Democratic Party. The panel’s decision to reject the candidacy of an incumbent judge in New York County is unprecedented and is particularly unexpected, given Justice Ling-Cohan’s record as a jurist and her stature as a trailblazer in the legal community. For more on the story, check out the following stories.
- Gay City News: Manhattan Dems Rejecting Justice Doris Ling-Cohan Sparks Outrage
- Gothamist: Activists Flip Out As Democratic Operatives Try to Oust Tenant-Friendly Judge
- NBC News: Supporters Rally after Asian-American Justice Loses Democratic Endorsement
- New York Law Journal: At City Hall, Outcry of Support for Manhattan Judge
- New York Post: Democratic base rails against party pols barring ‘lazy’ judge
- Progress Queens: Questions about why Manhattan, Brooklyn party committees have withdrawn support from judges
- Progress Queens: An advocate for judicial independence, Bharara remains mum about Democrats’ efforts to unseat independent judges
- Sing Tao: Chinese female judge deprived of eligibility for re-election
We encourage people to keep up with the story, contact Assemblyman Keith Wright about this injustice, and support Hon. Doris Ling-Cohan in whatever capacity they can. We will continue to advocate for the Justice Doris Ling-Cohan, who has selflessly served the people of New York as a jurist for two decades.
(Thank you to Matt Skinner for the photo.)