SABANY Pro Bono Clearinghouse will be partnering with the Office of the NYC Public Advocate for an upcoming immigration legal clinic. Without amazing PBC volunteers, we would not have the capacity to reach our community and serve them, so thank you so much.
What: Immigration Legal Clinic for South Asians
When: August 9, 2014
Time: 12-4pm (can volunteer for 2 hour slots)
Where: PS 69 located at 77-02 37 Ave. Queens, NY (Near the E,F,M,R, and 7 trains).
Need: Immigration and Criminal Law Attorneys (please let us
know if you speak a South Asian language though not required)
A bit of an overview, the workshop is a session for members of the South Asian community to learn the basics of current immigration laws, available public services, interacting with law enforcement, and understanding their civil rights. Our attorney volunteers will be giving a quick 10-15 minute consultations over a 4 hour period. The program will begin with a short overview of the following:
- Your rights regardless of their immigration status.
- How to speak to the FBI/DHS/NYPD/Joint Task force
- Your rights at the border
- Trigger language to use if stopped by the NYPD or JTF unit
- Home/work visits
- Immigration consequences of your criminal convictions
- Requirements of filing for US citizenship
- Immigration options if you are out of status
- Agencies that will serve you regardless of status
- Current City legislative priorities or laws that related to immigrants (undocumented and documented)
It would be fantastic to have 6-10 attorneys on hand to help. Please reach out if you are interested in volunteering at [email protected] with your name, phone number, practice area and language background.